Sunday, May 26, 2019

A key to happiness

We recently bought a Jaguar sports car, and it puts a smile on my face each time i drive it. Last week, i went kayaking for the first time in four years, and arrived at the kayaking club in the Jag.

There i met Bob - an old member of the club in his sixties - who has Alzheimer's disease. Bob had been an adventurer in his younger days and traveled to Africa by bicycle from the Netherlands. He loves fixing things, and one often sees him welding broken rudders at the club. When asked what was new, I told Bob about our new house, new child, new jobs etc., and my friend added: "and a new car". "Which car", asked Bob. I sjowed him the key, with the picture of an angry feline on it.

"I don't know this brand, which one is it?"

"What do you see on the key fob, Bob?"

"A tiger."

"Which other big cats can you think of?"

"A jaguar.. jaguar.. you've got a Jaguar!!!", Bob was delighted to have finally solved the mystery. And his joy was contagious. 

Despite his handicap, and the knowledge thereof, I have always found Bob to be one of the happiest people I know. He has never been bothered by things he cannot do, but does everything he can to the best of his ability, and to the utmost enjoyment.

My best friend and i often talk about the meaning of happiness. Walking along a canal a couple of days ago, i had an epiphany: one of the keys to happiness is to celebrate possibilities rather than mourning what one might perceive to be impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment