Wednesday, February 20, 2013

From a distance

What an anthem was Bette Middler's rendition of `From a Distance´! Not a family reunion or a road trip was complete without us gleefully singing it. The song began with a wonderful description of an increasingly rare view of the world: From a distance - the world looks blue and green - and the snowcapped mountains white - from a distance the ocean meets the sea - and the eagle takes to flight. Even at its most unutopian, she sang: From a distance - you look like my friend - even though we are at war - from a distance - I just cannot comprehend - what all this fighting is for!
 
Alas from a distance, I have now learnt, the picture is not really pretty.
 
In my early twenties, I was most optimistic about India and proud to be an Indian. The National Democratic Alliance had well sold its India shining story to me, and i had bought into the trickle down theory. Into my mid twenties, that sentiment soon evaporated, but I was still optimistic Indian, albeit a little less proud.
Now, on nationalistic occasions, I have increasingly felt that there is very little to be proud about in being Indian. How my view of things has changed over the past decade.
 
When I first traveled abroad in 2010, I felt an overwhelming need to defend India and portray its best image to my international colleagues. Many asked me about our problems with the caste-system and communalism. Well prepared to deal with these questions, my standard answer would be: `While these issues do exist, they have mostly been alleviated. Just consider the fact that we have a Dalit Chief Justice, a Sikh Prime Minister who belongs to a party presided by a woman of Italian/Catholic origin and was sworn to office by a Muslim President, who in turn has been succeded by a woman! We are well and truly the world's largest democracy!´
 
With eloquence I often managed to paint a fascinating picture of the country - an ever, ever land which is a multi-linguistic home to almost every religion in the world, vibrant and colourful cultures, cuisine, couture and what have you.
 
Illusionists are known to deftly distract their audiences to buttress the camouflages they use - and I was no exception. This defence of my country was often accompanied by a criticism of our northern neighbour - China. And on cue, I would ask / point towards my Chinese colleagues about the lack of fundamental freedoms and the number of secret executions the country committed. I would often sell India's case by stating that India has witnessed only as many [judicial] executions since Independence in 1947 as China does in a week. Oh, how horrible were the stories of chinese dissidents being secretly executed and their families having to pay for the bullets used by the Chinese administration.
 
How fortunate I was then that India had not yet secretly executed Ajmal Kasab and Afzal Guru. How fortunate I am now to have given up on illusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment